Our goal at integratedDENTAL is for patients to educate our patients so they can make informed decisions regarding their treatment. Below are some commonly asked questions about implants. If you have any other general questions about implants, click below or call 516-677-9010 to request a judgement-free consultation with our team of specialists.
- Many patients express concern about implant surgery being painful. We are glad to say though that most of our patients are amazed at just how comfortable they were during and after this procedure. Implant placement can be done with simple local anesthesia or with sedation should a patient suffer from dental phobia
- You can expect to have little or no discomfort following implant placement. However, you will be provided with prescriptions in advance to help prevent possible swelling and discomfort
- Similar to dietary restrictions following a dental extraction, a soft diet is recommended for the first few days following implant placement
- An implant needs to fully heal before it is considered strong enough to be restored and resist the forces generated when you chew. The time frame needed for proper healing depends on many factors, including the location of where an implant is placed, and often an estimation of an implant’s healing time can be made at the time of placement. A good rule of thumb though is that implants placed in the upper jaw take about 6 months to heal, while those in the lower jaw need only 2-3 months
- Just like with your natural dentition, the regular home care routine for implants consists of brushing and flossing. Even though dental implants are not subject to decay, they do require healthy supporting bone to function properly. Maintaining good oral health and regularly scheduled dental exams and cleanings are necessary to prevent gum disease and possible bone loss, thus ensuring the long-term health and success of your teeth and implants
- Once an implant has successfully healed and integrated with your bone, it should last 30 years or more when coupled with good oral health and preventative care
All-On-4™ is a trademark of Nobel Biocare Services AG